our place.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015


I mentioned on Monday that this week, I'm making the big move into my boyfriend's apartment. Now, my boyfriend and I have been together for about 5 years now, and luckily that means that I've gotten to know the differences in our style pretty well. Not so luckily, I've learned that he and I are pretty much polar opposites when it comes to style. I'm very much modern glamour meets pops of color, and he's very much rustic minimalist. My boyfriend is very much a guy's guy, and I knew moving in I'd have to immediately tone down my over-the-top glitzy style (he also has a weird aversion to anything painted white, and I have the strong desire to paint everything white, so...problems).

Because of our differences in style and also because of my need to visualize and pre-plan everything, a while back, I made a private Pinterest board to try and find some kind of middle ground between our two styles. And I found that our styles mixed together is actually a pretty awesome mix of rustic, quirky, and modern. Lots of found objects(we'd always enjoyed thrifting and antiquing together), mixed in with modern furniture with clean lines, add in some natural elements, and then bring in cool art with warm, energizing pops of color, and somehow we have a meshed style that's all our own.

Now the Pinterest board I created was totally just a dream of sorts; I have much more realistic home decor expectations for the first apartment we share. However, I feel so much better going into this move knowing that our two styles can coexist successfully, and having a set visual in mind helps me organize what to bring in to this new shared space and what to leave out.

No comments :

Post a Comment