made it.

Sunday, August 19, 2012


I am officially a resident of Asheville, North Carolina. Adjusting to college life has been exhausting but wonderful. In the midst of all my attempts to feel at home, I sometimes forget that I'm in a completely new city. Samm and I have managed to make our dorm room our own, as imperfect as some of the details may be. I bought my books today(minus my spanish book that I had to order online) and the next thing I have to get done is buy art supplies. It seems as though my to-do list has been never-ending since the moment I graduated high school.

The first time I felt at home is after hanging out with Lonnie. We got pizza and went to Walmart and watched Netflix and then got Bojangles. We did the things we normally do and it was nice to get away from the campus for a bit.  I guess it's true when they say that home is a person, not a place. I miss my family, but my brother is teaching them the ropes of Skype, a process that is pretty hilarious to see when your mom shouts unnecessarily and your dad can't look happier.

As far as colleges go, I could not have picked a better college to go to. I haven't gotten lost yet on the campus due to it's small size and the campus is gorgeous. There are trees and flowers and mountains in the distance. Everything is beautiful and alive. I can't wait to spend nice day walking around and taking pictures. The people here are also friendly. Angry people don't live in Asheville. I'm pretty sure there's a law against it.

Classes start tomorrow and I'm hoping that I'll get into the swing of everything soon enough. I'm normally not a fan of routine, but not knowing what the next day brings can be scary and uncomfortable and I'm ready for some kind of stability. At the same time, I'm making sure to enjoy this exciting place filled with new things to explore and discover.

No comments :

Post a Comment