this is not my life, or maybe it is.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Things I have learned in my first week on campus:
Food is life. Food is essential. Make it good. Make it local. Make it fresh. Asheville gets this.
Shoes are always optional.
Spending time outside is just as essential as food. Do it.
People like making friends and Asheville is the best place in the world to talk with, share ideas with, and meet someone new every day.
Do the things you love to do. This is along the same lines as eating and spending time outside. Important things.
Do things that scare you. Like taking the bus into the city.
The smell of freshly done laundry is one of the keys to happiness.
College is the most fun, sad, exciting, homesick, freeing, lonely, comforting, uncomfortable, crazy things in the world.

I made this list because I need to keep these things in mind. I live in the most beautiful city in the world. I live in a city where the people are friendly, anything goes, normal is weird, weird is normal, and the pizza is always topnotch. My senses are constantly being overloaded with all that there is to take in. It's overwhelming, I can't explore all the things this city is willing to show me in the mere week that I've been here. I need to have more patience with myself as I adjust. My biggest issue I'm having is that I want to feel at home now. I want a billion new best friends now. I want to know the city by heart now. Nothing works that way. I've got a decent amount of time to be here and to figure all that shit out. The most important thing right now is to remember to breathe and enjoy everything, one thing at a time.


Lonnie made a new best friend named Tyler who is really cool and drives a Mini Cooper. And by that I mean he drives us around in his Mini Cooper. Anyway, we went to Walmart and bought a 1000 piece puzzle and spent the majority of 2 days completing it.
College.


And then after we completed the puzzle we got bored and our brains were a little fried. So this happened.


This very informative sign has been relocated to our hall's bulletin board after one of the 6 baseball players who live on our hall got offended and decided he didn't want it on his door anymore.


The Hop is a local homemade ice cream place that sells cartons of its ice cream on campus. It's basically the best thing that has ever happened to anyone ever. It's also Samm and I's Freshman Fifteen all wrapped up in a little innocent-looking container.



And to wrap up this crazy, scattered, all over the place update, here are some super cool gifs I made of me on the phone with my grandma and Lonnie taking down a sticky note.

No comments :

Post a Comment