taking a breather.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013



On one of our school's student-run Facebook pages, a professor was quoted saying "October is one of the most stressful months. It is also the most beautiful."

I am totally feeling it.

And if I'm being honest, lately I haven't really been doing that well. Every week, I am struggling to complete projects. Every week is filled with its stressful, freak-out moments. Every week, I don't think I'm going to make it to Friday. But every week, I always do make it. I get the projects done, and I'm doing my best.

But then I look at my calender and realize that the end of October is in 2 days. I realize how quickly these days are passing. I realize how I'm not paying much attention to anything that isn't due on Thursday.

So this past week, I've been really making an effort to look around and enjoy the moment. To step away from a project, take a breather, and live for just a moment. Sometimes, taking time out of a hectic day to go on a photo-spree on the Quad to capture the maple leaves is just as necessary as homework. Especially since homework will always be there. These beautiful colors will not.

Side note: I took these pictures using only the Manual setting on my camera. I've used Manual before, but I've never really pushed myself to use it as my primary setting. I've always been afraid to just go out and do it. And even though these pictures are a little over-exposed (I haven't quite gotten used to it yet), I'm pretty proud of myself for taking the jump and just doing it. If any of y'all are wondering how to make the switch to Manual, the best advice I can give is just to go out and take a few play shots, like this. I was just walking around campus, so there was no pressure. It really helped me!

2 comments :

  1. I always thought you used manual...shows how much I know about photography, Been very stressful here and each Friday I am off and I tell myself I will go spend the day at Grandfather to enjoy the foliage and destress I just can't afford the time. Looking forward to the holidays and having you home. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually use Program, which is just slightly more advanced than Auto. But sometimes, especially in dark settings, I'll use the Shutter Speed setting. I really hope you find the time to do it! I'm looking forward to them too. I hate that I don't get to be home for Halloween. I'm missing the pumpkin carving, the decorating, and the leftover trick-or-treating candy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete