tennessee road trip: memphis.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015


I mentioned in the first part of this two part reflection that the main goal of our little road trip was to go to Memphis and visit Graceland. None of us have ever been, including my grandmother, who loves to tell the story about how she was on her way to pick up my uncle from football practice, when she heard the news of Elvis' death on the radio and had to pull over to compose herself due to the amount of shock which followed.

With that being said, Graceland did not disappoint us or my grandmother. There was way more to the estate than just the tour of the home. We saw his planes, all of his cars, and what seemed like countless mini museums with photos and belongings. The whole experience was definitely surreal and entertaining for all of us. For me, it was inspiring, as well. I can totally get behind Elvis' "go big or go home" style and over-the-top taste, and spending the day surrounded by a whole new level of glitz and glam was a dream come true for me.

That night for dinner, we ventured into downtown Memphis to eat ribs at Rendezvous, which was recommended to us as a must-visit, and that did not disappoint either. They were easily the best ribs I've ever eaten, especially the lamb ribs my dad and brother ordered, which were insanely delicious.

Other than Graceland, the highlight of Memphis for me was also seeing the Mississippi river for the first time as we briefly crossed the bridge which borders Arkansas. I've never been that far west before, so seeing a completely different part of the country other than the southeastern part I'm used to was really quite the experience for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment