the biltmore. (part 1)

Saturday, May 11, 2013


I took a lot of pictures, so I had to split this post up into 3 parts. This first part contains pictures of the main grounds/backyard. I had never been to the Biltmore before, so its first impression for me was pretty surreal/dramatic. My parents and I opted out of the audio tour that the house offers and instead used my dad's history geekiness knowledge and the pamphlet given to us as our guide. I think the experience was better this way, because we got to go at our own pace and explore the parts that we were the most interested in. 

I can't really describe the house itself without just calling it absolutely crazy. It's crazy big. It's crazy beautiful. It's crazy luxurious. It's crazy that anyone was able to wake up in this house every single day of his/her life.
Looking around the grounds made my love for Asheville deepen, as I realized that George Washington Vanderbilt could not have picked a better place for his masterpiece estate. The weather is perfect, the views are worth more than the house itself(okay, maybe that's a stretch, but c'mon, it's gorgeous out here!), and the opportunities for flowers to bloom, crops to flourish, and the house to be mostly self-sufficient are almost endless. It's perfect.

No comments :

Post a Comment